Oct 1, 2008

SLOPE





Months ago I went to Manky Chops first mammoth and very rocking colab opening of mainly graf artists. I was a bit overwhelmed by all the bods so decided to do a quick drive by of all the pieces before accelerating the feck out of there. But when I got to the red and black painting of a woman with a bob, in the corner, I was as stalled as an XY Falcon stuck between 1st and 2nd.
Her transfixing eyes and knowing demeanor made her look so She Bond.
Time and sound stood back politely until I was able to drag myself away and before I could regret spending the bonus I'd got that day, that was earmarked for something else. I did, however, regret not getting an image of her.

___________________________

A few weeks ago I was talking to Dave and he invited me to their latest opening. Imagine my ecstasy when I found out it was the same artist and it turns out that Slope (aka Brad ;-) was one of the people who nominated Leftbank for the award so, yeah, you'd be safe assuming in we had a bit to chat about when we were introduced.

The reason I put Slope up here is that first - Manky's falls into the One Block Rule and is a staunch supporter of Graf and second - because, among other things, Slope used to be a tagger (which happens to have given him the most exquisite signature of any artist I've ever seen btw).

There's only one thing that baffled me the whole night, and still does every time I look at his pieces...
How could the dealer galleries have all
rejected his work?
I don't get it.
He's prolific, his pieces are finished immaculately, his prices are fair, he's motivated and the nicest guy to communicate with. How can the Dealers not hear the soundtrack 'Ching Ching' to that story?

___________________________

'Astute' is how I would describe the woman who bought Jessica Alba for double
digits before the doors had even opened - and 'No Regrets' is what I'm suspecting she'd say if you asked her in a year how she felt about that particular investment...

No comments: