It goes like this...
So, ever since our Aux Boy arrived on Tuesday night, he's been out writing and hanging with his Wellie buds all night, then sleeping all day.
He wakes up yesterday avo and, after making a coffee, we sit out in the backyard and settle into a decent bit of gritty graftalk. In amongst it all I admit that I've never written but that I'd bought a few cans last week and had a huge hessian canvas from my artist days and was gagging to give it a go. He's all keen as and suggests he could do an outline and show me how to do fill etc.
We go on to other things then I drop him in town and drive on to the gym but with a meh, I keep driving and go home.
Now - you'll have gathered by now that I lead a bit of a double life. So - I have to get home to meet up with someone who needs me to do something for them. Because I bypassed the gym, I have a bit of time cash to spare so I drag out the canvas and the cans, go out back, put some gloves on and have a go at spraying.
WTF?!
I would have felt less unco doing it with my feet. Man - how does anyone do this shit?!
So I'm all absorbed with this dripping, overspraying mess when I suddenly remember that I'm expecting this visitor so I zoom inside, take off the gloves, wash my hands then the doorbell rings. I open the door and A and M come in.
So - they walk in my door and his nose is like some super hyper CSI beagle sniffing the air and his eyes get all glinty and he goes Hmmm smells like paint! I'm all muttery and embarrassed cos I can't say I'm writing, cos a - he might not know what that means and b - cos I'm not really, I'm just toying, so I deflect and ask him the obvious - Are you a writer?
M looks at me, then he looks at A, they laugh, and he flips open his phone to show me a piece they'd just finished.
As you can imagine, it was all on! Within seconds we were all over the graf scene with M knowing everyone I know (of) here and in Sydney and we both know all the same goss then I suddenly remember I'm meant to be doing this thing for A. I have a quick look and realise A has some work to do so I set her to it, then suggest that M might like to give me some tips. So we go out back and he quickly shows me how to outline the fill, then fill, then go around it. I'm all And what about this, and how do you do that?
When he showed me, it so made sense. Earlier I had been holding the can too far away from the canvas and was using the wrong cap. Also, I had been trying to do outline all at once but M did short strong strokes close up.
We both finally go back inside and I finish off doing the thing for A and thanking M, I let them out the door, stoked that I would see them again at the Buff Mish.
Surreal man!!
Having to do the left brain right brain switch between the two things was trippy beyond words and it's the first time my two worlds have crossed over.
Still marvelling at the coincidence and timing, I go back out to the courtyard, rearrange all the furniture, nail the canvas to the wall, set up a trolley with the cans on it and go for it!
________________________________
So the one on the right is M's demo - of absolutely no reflection of his skill cos every question I was asking, he was having to show me with new lines etc, so that's why it looks really 101.
The O'Neil family from the Naki have their own word - Pidoom.
Pidoom is for when you use or do something for the first time.
So the one on the left is E's pidoom throwie ;-)
What's fascinating is that already I look at it and see so many things wrong but also, that in the nano's it took me to do it, I was hooked and if there was a quick way to buff it, I would have been buffing, throwing and buffing again all night! I apologise for being so self indulgent, also for telling you this really long novella when I could have given it to you in shorthand but you'll remember what a thrill it was to do your first piece. It reminded me of the rush the first time I got behind the wheel of a car. I didn't get very far then stalled but I had felt the power and there was no going back...
See you cats tomorrow ;-)
2 comments:
Martha Cooper said on a video I saw that if anyone ever questions graffiti as art then they should have a go themselves
ohhhhh how much fun it is to paint.
Post a Comment