www.leftbank.co.nz has received multiple nominations in the Street Art category of the Wellington Civic Trust Awards.
The awards get presented in the Icon Room (good omen?) at Te Papa between 5:30 - 7:30 on Thursday the 18th of September.
The guy who contacted me said they were really impressed to see Wellington graffiti represented. Of course, we all know there are quite a few sites, and stores & galleries also supporting graf but, maybe because the alley is so in everyones faces (and nostrils), it's the one that got the noms.
Apparently there were quite a few others nominated - Ellen Coup for her exceptional mural by the bus stop in Newtown, the creator of the relief pattern in the airport tunnel, to name a few that the dude told me.
And I was thrilled to hear that another nominee was a graf crew - he said TS so I'm not sure if it's Top Shelf or Triple S - either way - onya's!!
Do you get how good this is for graf?
All those times that you go out, after work or school, at night or in the weekends, in the cold and or rain, dragging your kit, risking getting busted (or getting busted) to get your creations up - at this moment in Wellington time - is being recognised as worthwhile and valid.
I'm not sure how it's all decided but it was the public who put in the nominations and just the fact that the Awards have created a Street Art category shows that there's more awareness and acceptance of the streets as a gallery with entertainment value and potential.
So - if you're a writer and you're in the hood on that night, I would be really honoured if you were to join me at the awards. If, by some miracle the Graf Gods poked their heads in on the night and I was to find myself accepting an award, it would be on behalf of you and I would want you there with me - whether I've met you before or not, whether you throw, burn, slap, sten or paste, legit or otherwise - as long as you're a contributor to the street, you should be there too.
I know you're publicity shy and it goes against everything you're always having to look over your shoulder for, but this could be the one night when graffiti actually gets a positive rap and I want to make sure you're represented and get the credit you work your hiney off for.
And big ups to everyone who nominated the alley.
I can't help but feel this is a break through...
No comments:
Post a Comment